Though barely recognizable, this house with center chimney is the other eighteenth-century Colonial building on Whitfield Street (see No. 21), where Sarah Bartlett lived with her husband, Robert Shelley, and three children. Joseph Griffing, first keeper of Faulkner’s Island lighthouse, also lived here from 1812 to 1839. Converted to commercial use, it has housed many businesses including for forty-six years Francesco (Frank) Cianciolo’s fruit and vegetable store, and since 1982 has been the home of Breakwater Books.
From Guilford: A Walking Guide, the Green & Neighboring Streets [by] Sarah Brown McCulloch. Text from 2006 printing, revised, with editorial notes in brackets from 2012.