Jasper Monroe & Sons, 9 Boston Street, Greek Revival and Italianate, 1858. Although the style is mainly Greek Revival, the arched windows show a touch of the Italianate influence fashionable in the 1850s. The east section is a later addition, windows have been changed and shutters removed, but the building is still a well-maintained landmark. It has been a store from the time it was built by Jasper Monroe’s son. Jasper’s son Beverly continued to run the business after the death of his father and brother, and by 1886 he had expanded the stock considerably, advertising “dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats, caps, paper hangings, carpets, crockery, paints, oils and choice FAMILY GROCERIES.” The Guilford Savings Bank began here with Monroe as its first treasurer using a safe in the back to hold deposits. In 1896 the building became the E. H. Butler Hardware Store and has been Page Hardware since 1939.
From Guilford: A Walking Guide, the Green & Neighboring Streets [by] Sarah Brown McCulloch. Text from 2006 printing, revised, with editorial notes in brackets from 2012.