Award of Merit: To commend the sensitive restoration or creative re-use of an existing building or structure of historical or architectural significance or for a new building demonstrating particular sensitivity to its surroundings.
Award of Recognition: To recognize individuals or groups who have worked for preservation in Guilford, or for quiet, consistent maintenance of a fine old building.
Letter of Appreciation: To recognize a group or individual for providing a service to or enhancing the character and quality of life in Guilford.
The Charles Hubbard Award: To be presented to an individual in recognition of long-standing service to the historic preservation of Guilford through work of a scholarly nature or relating to the history of Guilford.
The Jane Berger Award: To be presented to individuals or groups who have contributed to the preservation of buildings or neighborhoods either by direct involvement in a preservation project or by affecting through their influence the preservation of the character of Guilford.
Awards of Merit:
Work that was done–the adaptive reuse and repurposing of two timber framed barns into a playful center for childhood development. The work celebrates and reveals the previous agricultural use of the barns, while invigorating them with a fresh and inspiring new purpose. The barns were originally built on the Henry Whitfield farm property. They were moved to the current site in 1905 and were modified into industrial cow barns as part of Governor Woodruff’s experimental farming efforts.
The 1200 foot long by 81 foot wide structure was the largest of its kind in the world when it was built in 1929. These unique structures were threatened by economic pressures from overseas competition in the Rose industry. A creative and community minded new business model was introduced to support the continued use of the greenhouses. Autistic residents now grow and sell roses, thus staving off the threat of closure and the loss of the historic greenhouses. The GPA feels it particularly important to commend the creative reuse of Guilford’s agricultural assets.
Award of Merit. Chris McManus for his renovation of the historic “Dolls’ House” on Whitfield Street.
Thirtieth Anniversary Award (To recognize tireless efforts over many years to preserve, enhance, and document Guilford’s rich heritage of buildings, landscapes, and communities):
Shirley Girioni for her dedicated service to historic preservation over many years
Joel Helander for his landmark book A Treasury of Guilford Places.
The Charles Hubbard Award: Carl Balestracci
The Jane Berger Award: Mark Miller: 335 & 337 Old Whitfield Street
Awards of Merit:
Paul Moher, Janie Umbricht, Carleton Voos, Karen Voos: 1169 Long Hill Road
Boston Street Real Estate Partners: Elizabeth Cook, Charlie Dear, Pamela Dear, Elizabeth Eden, Ethan Eden, Meredith Eden, Gloria Gorton: 58 Boston Street
Award of Recognition: Joe Ferrall: Fence at Olmsted Outlook, River Street
Letter of Appreciation
Ruth Brooks: trash pick-up
Bill Mack: trash pick-up
Guy Esposito, Repellapest: extermination services
The Charles Hubbard Award: Joe Arnold
The Jane Berger Award: Woodruff Farm Committee
Award of Merit
Alexander E. and John B. Carles, 35 State Street
Thomas Schneider, 77 Broad Street
Chris McManus, 342 Water Street
Judith W. House, 258 Water Street
Ann Street and Ted Zuse, 72 Broad Street
Patrick and Susanna Smith, 63 Broad Street
Award of Recognition: Harry Haskell and Ellen Cordes, 15 Union Street
At its annual meeting in May, 2004, the GPA recognized five individuals for outstanding achievement in the historic and environmental preservation of Guilford for ourselves and future generations.
The Charles Hubbard Award for “long-standing service to the historic preservation of Guilford” went to Sally and Fred Richards for their outstanding leadership and work in the preservation and conservation of Guilford land and Long Island Sound. The Richards have also been instrumental in support of the Guilford Land Conservation Trust.
The Jane Berger Award for outstanding contribution “to the preservation of buildings or neighborhoods” was presented to Charles Magby and Linda Anderson for launching and directing the Committee to Save the Guilford Shoreline, one of the first and most successful modern Guilford conservation entities and an inspiration to other conservation groups that followed.
The (new) Marjory Schmitt Award for a “distinguished body of work devoted to the enhancement and preservation of the landscape” went to Carolie Evans for lifetime devotion to conservation of Guilford’s uncommonly beautiful meadows, woods and marshes through The Nature Conservancy, the Guilford Land Conservation Trust and the Guilford Land Acquisition Committee.
The very creative adaptive re-use of the Quonset hut on Church St. has brought a vibrant new retail space to one of Guilford’s most unique engineering structures. The Quonset Hut originated in WWII from the Quonset Point Naval Air Station in Rhode Island. Developed by the Sea Bees based there, it was a prefabricated, utilitarian structure designed to be assembled quickly and suitable for many wartime uses. After the war Quonset huts were popularized and used for everything from mechanic garages, warehouses, and even vacation homes.
The Quonset hut on Church St. was built in 1946 and used by the Griswold Department Store and later by the Jeffrey Norton Publishing Co. for warehousing. Owner Doug Anderson retrofitted the guts of the building with structural steel and a new mezzanine. The shell is clad with an eye-catching metal strip metal roof. Its new use-housing a coffee shop and retail space-is a brilliant way to save the building.
The restoration of the Colonel William Hart House, at 222 Whitfield St, adjacent to the Whitfield Museum, has brought back to life a wonderful historic home in the center of the Whitfield Street historic district. The home was built in 1814 by Colonel Hart, a deacon at the First Congregational church, for his bride Lydia Griffing. Colonel Hart raised eight children here. The house is an example of a Federal style dwelling with tri-part window and fan light over the front door. The porch is a reconstruction typical of the period.
Doug Williamson of Guilford was the contractor. He used old glass in new custom-made sash. He also used the brick and slabs of granite from a fallen barn in the hearth and mantelpiece. He rebuilt the center chimney and the front porch as a reconstruction of the period.
Agricultural buildings once dominated the Guilford and Connecticut countryside. Now many are gone. The Conover barns exemplify the traditional Greek Revival farmscape of Connecticut. They are located in a perfect rural setting on the banks of the East River, and their preservation has been a model for other neglected “outbuildings” around town.
Built in 1880 on the site of an 1840 hay barn, the two barns were almost lost in the 1990s., when Woolsey Conover was counseled by a real estate agent that the buildings were a liability and should be town down. A new owner began the restoration project several years later. Contractors Michael D’Onofrio and Tim Cox rebuilt stone foundations, replaced sills and floor joists, repaired sheathing, and installed a new roof and cupola on the main barn.
This house, a wonderful example of a French Second Empire-style cottage located on a beautiful in-town street, is representative of Guilford’s architecture and development in the mid-19th century. The house was built by Andrew Jackson around 1872 during a period of rapid growth in the village center. The mansard roof is the predominant feature of the Second Empire style. There are several examples of this style around the green in Guilford. Usually this decorative style is found in much larger and expensive houses; this simple vernacular version is a rare example.
Owner Marion LaFollette purchased the house in 1999 and did the careful restoration with the help of contractor William Frame and painter Cal Morgan. A slate roof, so important in this mansard style, was put back on the house by Pat Tarrantino. LaFollette’s son and grandson helped recreate the decorative eave brackets that had been torn off when siding was put on. The colors of the house reflect the earth tones and stone colors of the period.
The house was built in 1892 by Frederick Page, who was born in New Haven and worked as a railroad man, farmer, fireman, and member of the police force. It is one of a few Queen Anne style cottages in town, and its restoration has not only highlighted the porch post and gable trim, but also given it a new sense of position and placement on the street.
Steven McGuire bought the house in 1997, having fallen in love with its wraparound porch. He has undertaken a thorough and patient rebuilding of the house, from the basement to the roofline, doing most of the work himself. The recreation of the porch and porch rail is especially noteworthy.
This wonderful waterfront home, one of a handful of works by modern architect and sculptor Tony Smith, was almost demolished. As real estate values and development pressure have escalated in Connecticut, important modernist houses are being torn down by buyers who want wonderful natural sites but new, expansive houses. Luckily, this house has been saved by owners who recognized its spectacular design.
Tony Smith, born in 1919, worked in architecture and design with important architects Mies van der Rohe and Frank Lloyd Wright. Later in his career he became a sculptor. His work embodied the ideological split between Bauhaus, International School modernism, and Wright’s romantic influences. In the Olsen house the articulation of space and form associated with the international movement is evident, as is the spectacular siting and celebration of nature of Wright’s Usonian vision. The sculptural minimalism, however, is all Tony Smith.
Owners Rebecca Quaytman and Jeff Priess have saved the house from the wrecking ball at a time when other Old Quarry homes from this era are being scraped off their sites for larger trophy homes. With the help of architects Keenan/Riley of New York, they are removing later additions and restoring the original Smith plan.
This historic church building sits on the Guilford Green, creating an imposing Greek Revival-style edifice. The church was first established here in 1843 as the Third Congregational church when 123 abolitionists were dismissed from the first church and set out to establish their own parish. A chapel was added to the rear in 1879. A three-story doric tower, removed in 1920, once crowned the classical meeting house.
For a time the building served as a movie house and community theater. The Christion Science Society returned it to church use in 1951. Of note are the Doric pilasters, deep entablature, and flush board pediment.
In 2002 extensive renovations and repairs were made to the church by members of the congregation, with help from the CT Historical Commission and the Jones Trust of the GPA.
Originally built in the 1850s as a residence, this house became Fowlers market, then Misses Sheppard and Fowlers dry goods store. In the early twentieth century, some residents remember it as a notions shop and a beauty shop. It was rented to the Church as a reading room, then sold to them for a dollar in 1960 with the understanding it would always be used for ecclesiastical purposes.
In 2002 the reading room underwent extensive interior renovations and repairs accomplished by church member John Norris. The post and beam construction is now visible near the display window. A garden and seating area at the rear of the building has a decorative pergola with stone pillars topped with a cedar trellis also built by Mr. Norris.
Award of Merit: Derrick White & Matthew Voss: 174 Wildrose Avenue, Jacob’s House
Award of Recognition:
Knox & Caroline Chandler: 594 County Road
Len Hubbard: 197 Three Mile Course, Medad Stone Tavern
Alvin Rossiter: 1188 Great Hill Road , David Rossiter House
Shoreline Outdoor Education Center: 730 County Road
The Jane Berger Award
Frank J. Ifkovic, Jr.
Shirley A. Girioni
Award of Merit: First Congregational Church (restoration of bell), Joel E. Helander (370 Vineyard Point Road restoration/renovation), Richard & Brenda Prunty (intersection of Route 77/Great Hill Road, restoration of house), Ed & Winnie Seibert (78 Fair Street renovation), Guilford Land Conservation Trust (Olmstead Overlook)
Award of Recognition: Richard & Jane Lewis (29 Broad Street maintenance), Pinchbeck Family (continued agricultural use)
The Charles Hubbard Award: Edith Nettleton
The Jane Berger Award: James Bolinger, Ed & Winnie Seibert and J.J. Sullivan, Inc. (96 Fair Street, property purchase and barn relocation to assist the Women & Family Life Center, Inc.), Nan Brown (curator, Thomas Griswold House), Dorothy Whitfield Society, Guilford Agricultural Society, Guilford Volunteer Fire Department (maintenance of antique fire truck),
Antoni Kalinowski (posthumous)
Award of Merit: Guilford Savings Bank (44 Boston Street restoration of exterior/rehabilitation of interior), Louis Guerrera (25 Water Street rehabilitation), Mark Miller (345 Old Whitfield Street rehabilitation), Grace H. & Raymond Piscatelli (76 Fair Street restoration of exterior/rehabilitation of interior), Janet Riesman & Sean Sasio (3061 Boston Post Road restoration of exterior), Village Francais (new building demonstrating sensitivity to surroundings)
Award of Recognition: Joann Carmody Corlett (Children’s Walking Guide), Mark & Janet Dudley (for their preservation and teaching skills), Helen Parmalee Leslie (maintenance of her rural land), Page Hardware & Appliance Company (consistent maintenance of their old buildings), St. John’s Church (maintenance of their old church buildings), Erica Udoff & Oliver Wine (maintenance of 15 Whitfield Street)
The Charles Hubbard Award: Deborah Peluse
The Jane Berger Award
David D. Dudley
Michael A. McBride
Award of Merit: The Guilford Keeping Society, 1774 Thomas Griswold House, house & fence restoration; Doug Anderson, 14 Water Street, Odd Fellows Hall; Vincent & Robert Anderson, 233 Upper State Street, 1669 Starr ½ house
Award of Recognition: J. J. Sullivan, 229 River Street, maintenance of complex; Nancy & Paul Parante , 55 Water Street, maintenance of Henry Mack house
The Charles Hubbard Award: Rufus Bishop
The Jane Berger Award: The Dudley Farm Foundation
Award of Merit: Pamela A. Besse, 172 Moose Hill Road; J. Robert A. Bunting & Rebecca Bunting, 133 Whitfield Street; Nicholas Thompson-Allen & Gail Thompson-Allen, 270 County Road
Award of Recognition: Emma McSweet, 330 Clapboard Hill Road; Gregory A. Kaisen & Maria F. Kaisen, 241 Elm Street
The Charles Hubbard Award: Sarah McCulloch
The Jane Berger Award: Richard Werle & Ken MacKenzie, SOS Group, Grass Island Shack
Award of Merit: James H. Dew & Betty MacKenzie Dew, 1171 Boston Post Road, James Dew & Sons building expansion
Award of Recognition: Stanley Nitkowski, Jr., Eagle Scout, permanent monument to the “annual perambulation of bounds in West Woods”; George Goss, 90 Duck Hole Road, maintence of 1723 Ebenezer Scranton house moved to site; Lois Hubbell, 68 Water Street, maintenance of 1780 David Parmelee house
The Charles Hubbard Award: H. Philip Dudley
The Jane Berger Award: Martin Wright
Award of Merit: Christ Episcopal Church, Erwin Griffiths/handicap ramp; Brian Casey, 715 Leete’s Island Road; Town of Guilford, Great Hill Road bridge/Branch Brook
Award of Recognition: North Guilford Congregational Church, Parish Hall
The Jane Berger Award: C. Alton Hollingsworth
Award of Recognition: Tom & Katrina Wuerth, Broad Street, Caleb Stone House; Mary & Jeffrey Beeman, 39 Boston Street
The Jane Berger Award: Bishop’s Orchards; Jane P. Greene
Award of Merit: Jean Kelley, 53 Fair Street; Philip Schaeffer & Irene Auerbach, 85 Boston Street
Award of Recognition: Arthur Popolizio, 2655 Long Hill Road
The Jane Berger Award: Robert J. Sperry
Award of Merit: Paul & Estelle Nussbaum, 63 Fair Street; Patricia Behre & Harry Miskimin, 55 York Street
Award of Recognition: John Hubbard, 65 Boston Street; Ellen J. C. McFarland, 58 State Street; Kathleen & Michael Sinclair, 131 Elm Street; Amy B. Wheaton, Bluff Head Farm; Nona Bloomer
The Jane Berger Award: H. Philip Dudley
Award of Merit: Miriam Burton, 43 Park Street; George Chittenden, 3654 Durham Road
Award of Recognition: Paul & Vivian Farren, Beaver Head Road
The Charles Hubbard Award: Joel Helander
Award of Merit: Spencer Foundry, 18 Fair Street; Williamson, 2631 Durham Road; Shore Line Times; White, 15 Union Street
Award of Recognition: Basil Duncan, 20 Water Street; Frank J. Marlowe, 37 Park Street ; Christian Science Reading Room, 17 Whitfield Street
The Charles Hubbard Award: Elizabeth Mills Brown
Award of Merit: Alison & Logan Page; Alfred Girardi; Kenneth Leary & Lindsay Holaday; Jonathan Wuerth; First Congregational Church
Award of Recognition: Marie Young; Leonard Hubbard; Edith Nettleton
The Charles Hubbard Award: Hugh McK. Jones
The Jane Berger Award: Guilford Savings Bank; Robert Orcutt
Award of Merit: Gary Tierney & Dr. & Mrs. Ehrenkranz, 186 &198 Whitfield Street; Lauren F. Meyers, Jr., River Colony & Long Hill Farm